May 7, 2002 | Waterford Project participants include some of the leading AIDS research scientists and institutions in the country. Each participant has its own research specialty, and each connects through a regional provider to the Internet2's Abilene network.
Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology
AIDS Research Institute - University of California at San Francisco San Francisco
- Headed by Warner Greene
- Connects through Corporation for Education Network Initiatives in California (CENIC) regional network
- Specializes in molecular biology and molecular immunology
Collaboratory for Research on Electronic Work (CREW) - University of Michigan School of Information Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Headed by Thomas Coates
- Connects through CENIC regional network
- Specializes in clinical trials of AIDS therapeutics, developing national models of AIDS care and prevention
Institute of Human Virology -University of Maryland Baltimore
- Headed by Gary Olson
- Connects through Merit regional network
- Specializes in IT planning, implementation, research
Harvard AIDS Institute Boston
- Headed by Robert Gallo
- Connects through Mid-Atlantic Crossroads (MAX) regional network
- Specializes in virology
Partners AIDS Research Center/Massachusetts General Hospital Charlestown, Mass.
- Headed by Max Essex
- Connects through Northern Crossroads (NoX) regional network
- Specializes in international research, catalyzing existing research
Back to "Accelerating the Fight Against Aids"
- Headed by Bruce Walker
- Connects through NoX regional network
- Specializes in cellular immunology