On August 17, 2007, HHS Secretary Leavitt will lead a public informational session about HHS plans to design and establish a successor to the American Health Information Community (AHIC).
The three-hour session will raise awareness of the implementation strategy for an AHIC successor organization and encourage collaboration among private and public organizations to form the successor organization. At this meeting, the Secretary will lay out an AHIC successor vision, expectations, and approach that will take advantage of the momentum gained by the current AHIC Federal advisory committee and will offer an opportunity to a broad spectrum of health care stakeholders to participate in the new organization. The Secretary will engage in an interactive question and answer session. Pre-registration is available online
Eagle Hospital Physicians, a leading national Hospitalist company, is pleased to announce a strategic alliance with Statit Software, the premier provider of statistical process control technology for continuous quality improvement (CQI). Through the use of Statit technology, Eagle will be able to enhance its focus on CQI by analyzing, tracking, and comparing clinical, operational, financial, and key quality performance indicators over a specified period of time. Expected results from use of Statit technology include accessing and displaying real-time information received from Hospital partners as well as from Eagle’s databases, spreadsheets, and ancillary information systems; providing accessible information in relevant formats for physician action plans; safeguarding data behind secure firewalls, and ensuring confidentiality yet enabling accessibility to authorized users; rolling information up for enterprise view; and creating a personalized view of a scorecard and subscription of automated notification to meet individual and organizational goals.
Spring Medical Systems announced that it has formed a strategic alliance with WFS Services to provide a comprehensive technology solution that meets both the financial and clinical needs of client practices. This integrated and cost-effective solution will allow small- to medium-sized medical practices to move to an electronic health records (EHR) solution, and at the same time dramatically enhance financial and billing procedures. Through the partnership, Spring Medical Systems’ EHR application, SpringCharts, will be integrated with WFS’ revenue cycle management products to provide a single data entry point for a practice and a “one-to-one” relationship between clinical and financial systems.
ChainDrugStore.net will integrate OnFormulary, Gold Standard Inc.’s health plan formulary management tool, into its web-based communications network that links pharmacies with more than 200 manufacturing and managed care organizations. Under the agreement, when a manufacturer sends a message across the ChainDrugStore.net communication network regarding a specific drug, such as a new tier designation on a particular health plan formulary, a link will be embedded that will take the recipient directly to the relevant information within OnFormulary. This allows the pharmacy operator to see not only the changes to the formulary in question, but also formulary information on that drug across all plans within the pharmacy’s coverage area.
Sikka Software Corporation, a leading provider of business optimization Software as a Service (SaaS) solutions for small businesses in the healthcare industry is making three new products available to the entire dental community: Dental Practice Optimizer for Practice Advisors (DPOPA), HotOptimize.com, and Dental Practice Optimizer Dashboard (DPOD). DPOPA is a platform that makes Dental Practice Optimizer available for practice consultants and dental CPAs. DPOPA provides customizable reports with any business statistics that the practice advisors need at a frequency they choose and helps them offer best advice and consulting for their dentists. HotOptimize.com uses Sikka Software Corporation Dental Practice Optimizer technology and network to help dental professionals do a structured search for any business ratio or procedure code for their zip code. Finally, Dental Practice Optimizer Dashboard (DPOD) is a low cost personal dashboard for dentists and works with all major versions of practice management systems automatically.
OTN announced that the Georgia Society of Clinical Oncology (GASCO) has selected OTN and Onmark, OTN's affiliated group purchasing organization, to provide oncology services to its members. The agreement includes OTN's Lynx Technologies, oncology drug distribution, specialty pharmacy services, practice management tools, educational programs, and GPO services. OTN is a leading physician services company and one of the largest distributors of products and services to the community physician market. GASCO is a state professional society of physicians, practice administrators, and affiliated healthcare professionals concerned with clinical oncology. A total of 36 oncology practices in Georgia, representing 165 physicians, are members of GASCO.
Siemens Medical Solutions announced that several members of the company's executive leadership team have been selected for industry positions and appointments in key healthcare industry organizations.
- Gail E. Latimer, R.N., M.S.N., vice president, chief nursing officer, was reappointed as a member of the CCHIT Inpatient Electronic Health Record (EHR) Work Group. The group is responsible for refining and finalizing the criteria surrounding inpatient EHR functionality.
- Donald Bechtel, chief privacy officer, Healthcare Data Exchange, a service of Siemens Medical Solutions, was selected to participate in the CCHIT Privacy and Compliance Expert Panel.
- David Tao, D.Sc., senior key expert of Soarian Enterprise Systems, was appointed as co-chair of the CCHIT EHR Foundation Work Group and was selected as a member of the CCHIT Interoperability Expert Panel, which enables standards-based data exchange among EHRs.
- Terry Jacobs, director, electronic health records and emerging initiatives, was appointed as a steering committee member to the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS) Enterprise Information Systems Steering Committee.
- Susan Matney, R.N., M.S., clinical informatics, was elected to serve a two-year term on the International Health Terminology Standards Development Organisation (IHTSDO) Quality Assurance Committee. The National Library of Medicine (NLM) is the U.S. member of the newly-formed IHTSDO.
- Joe D'Antonio, M.Eng., M.B.A., senior manager for Soarian HIM product development, was elected vice chairperson of American Health Information Management Association's (AHIMA) Foundation of Research and Education (FORE) Board. FORE is the 501(c)(3) charitable affiliate of AHIMA, providing the financial and intellectual resources to support continuous innovation and advances in health information management through research, education and public awareness initiatives.